Cantonese Course in Hong Kong
Although Mandarin is the official language in China, Cantonese is the main language spoken in Hong Kong and Canton province, according to Wikipedia, there are over 59 million Cantonese speakers worldwide and among them, over 7 million people are in Hong Kong, therefore, learning Cantonese is very useful while you are living in Hong Kong, it will definitely make your life in Hong Kong easier. ILC offers the best Cantonese classes in Hong Kong, and we can help you to reach your goals.
People always say that learning Cantonese is difficult, but probably they forgot the fun part. We have professional Cantonese tutors, they are local Hong Kong people with Master in Linguistics or related degree holders. They are fluent in English, patient and helpful, most importantly, they teach the language in an efficient and fun way!
There are 6 levels in our Cantonese Course - Beginner level 1 and 2, Intermediate Level 1 and 2, Advanced Level 1 and 2. For beginner level, each sub level has 30 hours, for Intermediate and Advanced level, each sub level has 60 hours.
For Beginner Cantonese Course, we will teach basic Cantonese, including pronunciation and basic conversations, contents for Beginner Course:
- Cantonese Pronunciation
- Taking a taxi in Hong Kong
- How much is this
- Can you make it cheaper
- What will be the weather like tomorrow?
- Do you have a bigger one?
- Living in Hong Kong is very convenient
- I am sick
For Intermediate Cantonese Course, more complex Cantonese phrases, informal and formal Chinese words and grammar, contents for Intermediate course:
- Let's first know each other
- What is favorite Cantonese food?
- Do you like shopping in Hong Kong?
- I am sick...
- Getting married...
- Traditional Chinese wedding
- Watch a Chinese movie
- Travelling in Hong Kong
- Write an email
- My future is not a dream
- Chinese lifestyle
For Advanced Cantonese Course, more vocabularies, formal Chinese words, contents for Advanced course:
- It's a misunderstanding
- A football match
- Visit Chinese families
- Let's talk about Beijing dialect
- Fall in love at first sight
- TV advertisement
- Spring Festival
- Average salary in your country and in Hong Kong
- Hong Kong V.S Shanghai
- Economic crisis
Why Learn Cantonese in Hong Kong?
- Саntоnеsе іs оnе оf thе mоst wіdеlу sроkеn dіаlесts іn Сhіnа аnd іs аlmоst аs соmmоn аs Маndаrіn аmоng Сhіnеsе соmmunіtіеs оutsіdе оf Сhіnа аrоund thе wоrld.
- Саntоnеsе іs thе lаnguаgе оf Ноng Κоng аnd thе mоthеr-tоnguе оf busіnеss lеаdеrs аll оvеr Ѕоuth-Еаst Сhіnа аnd Ѕоuth-Еаst Аsіа. Аs Сhіnа’s fіrst mаrkеts ореn tо thе Wеst, thеsе аrе іmроrtаnt аrеаs fоr trаdе .
- Whіlе Сhіnеsе іs sроkеn bу fеw fоrеіgnеrs (nоn-Сhіnеsе) аs іt іs, thеrе аrе рrороrtіоnаllу еvеn lеss nоn-Сhіnеsе Саntоnеsе sреаkеrs thаn nоn-Сhіnеsе Маndаrіn sреаkеrs. Тhеrе іs grеаt nееd аnd mаrkеt fоr thіs lаnguаgе skіll.
- Тhе Сhіnеsе рорulаtіоn іs rаріdlу ехраndіng іts оnlіnе рrеsеnсе.
- Саntоnеsе grаmmаr іs surрrіsіnglу sіmрlе іn mаnу rеsресts. Тhеrе іs nо nееd tо lеаrn соnјugаtіоns fоr vеrbs, аnd thеrе іs vіrtuаllу nо рrеfіхеs оr suffіхеs tо wоrrу аbоut lеаrnіng. Оn thе оthеr hаnd, thеrе аrе mаnу rооt wоrds whісh hеlр іn lеаrnіng nеw vосаbulаrу аs thеу аrе usеd аnd rеusеd іn соmbіnаtіоn wіth оthеr rооts.
Why Learn Cantonese in ILC?
Things you need to pay attention when learning Cantonese language:
- Take Cantonese classes regularly twice a week, 2 hours each session
- Listen to what people say around you, in elevator, in the market or in your workplace
- Pay attention to the 6 or 9 tones of the Cantonese language, tone changes a bit, meaning changes completely!
- No need to speak in perfect grammar, but build up your vocabularies
- Don't be shy to make mistakes, we learn from mistakes!
- Be patient when you learn this language, it is not a easy language to learn but it is really fun!
- Try to learn Chinese Characters if possible, it is the hard at the beginning, but then you will find them very helpful
Check these interesting articles about learning Cantonese in Hong Kong:
- Why Hong Kong people don’t speak Cantonese to me ?!
- Is Cantonese a dying language to learn?
- Advantages of learning Cantonese over Mandarin
Different Cantonese Classes we offer:
Cantonese Beginner Course
Hi, This is Eko, I am a Japanese, I took Cantonese course for Beginners when I came to Hong Kong 3 years ago, I realized that learning Cantonese can really help me a lot for daily things, since my English speaking skill is not very good, therefore, Cantonese becomes more important, now I am taking Cantonese class with my teacher, Joan Lee, she is from Hong Kong, I would highly recommend her as the Cantonese teacher in this centre.
I love Hong Kong and the language, I knew Cantonese language will be a very tough language to learn but I chose it! I was very unsure if Mandarin or Cantonese should be the language to learn, but my teacher from ILC told me that if I live in Hong Kong and work here, I should take Cantonese lessons, after 1 year of studying at the centre, I felt my Cantonese speaking levels improved so much! When I first came to Hong Kong in 2002, I could not speak a word, but now I can speak a full sentence with grammar all correct! I am going to learn the Chinese characters very soon!
Learn Cantonese for over 6 years
What an enjoyable and instructive way into a difficult language! After 18 months of Cantonese Language Courses Hong Kong at the ILC in Central, I can safely say that it’s one of the best investments of time and money I have made here in Hong Kong. Learning Cantonese in Hong Kong is essential!
Intensive Cantonese Lesson
I took 40 days, Monday to Friday intensive Cantonese lesson in Hong Kong in 2013, this program covered 2 levels, Cantonese Beginner course level 1 and 2, in this 120 hours intensive language course, I learnt a lot, I had tried to learn the Cantonese language by myself before coming to Hong Kong, but my pronunciation was so terrible at that time, now with their help, I can speak the language really really good! Thank you!
Cantonese Tutor in Hong Kong
I was looking for a great location and great Cantonese tutor to improve my Cantonese, ILC was the best so far, it is located in Central area near my office in Charter House, I can come to the centre in 5 minutes times, I have been living in HK for almost 3 years, and I have been taking their lesson for about 1 year and half, I am very satisfied with their performance, and most importantly I can talk to the locals now!
Cantonese Language School Hong Kong
I have been living in Hong Kong for 2 years, I slowly realised that learning the Cantonese language is very helpful for my daily life, I don’t have to be fluent in the Cantonese language, but my goal is to understand daily conversations including shop talk and taxi words, these are very important to me in Hong Kong, I wouldn’t say you cannot live in Hong Kong without speaking Cantonese, but if you speak a little, it definitely will make your life much easier, so a year ago, I started to look for Cantonese language schools in Hong Kong, I have tried a few schools, but ILC is so far the best language learning centre, the material they used in very up-to-date and their Cantonese teachers are very nice and experienced, learning Cantonese is not a easy job, but it indeed very fun.
Learning Cantonese in Hong Kong
ILC is offering the best Cantonese course in Hong Kong. Hong Kong being what it is, I found that I didn’t have much time in the week to focus on learning Cantonese and realised that I wouldn’t get very far at all under my own steam. So I approached ILC initially to ensure that I was at least doing something each week towards learning the language in a regular and systematic way. I have had only a one hour lesson each week now for just over a year and in that time Charles has brought me to the point where I can communicate in everyday situations and pick up quite a lot of what people are talking about.
Cantonese lesson Intensive
Me and my wife took Cantonese intensive course in Hong Kong in the year 2010 for 2 months, we were doing Monday to Friday 3 hours a day, I believe this is the best way to learn a foreign language, and after 2 months studies, I was right, the centre is very easy to find and teachers, there are very friendly and helpful, my teacher, Jassie is very professional, she is local Cantonese, speaks perfect English, she taught us the Cantonese romanization system, and correct our pronunciation mistakes, I learned a lot with her, she is a very strict teacher but I know she wanted us to speak perfectly, learning Cantonese is never easy but it is not impossible.
Hi, My name is Elisabeth, I have been taken Cantonese Course Hong Kong with my Cantonese tutor, Alex for 2 years, I am from Germany, my native language, of course, is German, and I realised that the grammar in German is similar to Chinese, this is a great advantage for me! I have been living in Hong Kong for 3 years, I could hardly understand anything when I first came to this city, but now, after 2 years studying Cantonese in Hong Kong, I am quite confident to speak to the local people as well as making friends with them, learning Cantonese is tough, but I think it is not impossible, I would suggest you take Cantonese Course Hong Kong two or three times a week, 1.5 hours each time, after two years, you will be like me!
Learning Cantonese in ILC
This is already my 6th months learning Cantonese in Hong Kong, I started learning Cantonese in the U.K online, I learned a few words but couldn’t make a full sentence, ILC seems to provide very good Cantonese course Hong Kong. my teacher in ILC told me how to make a sentence in Chinese with correct grammar, I think I really need a Cantonese tutor to teach me and practice with me the tones and sentence structure. I believe that I found the right place to learn Cantonese, if you are interested in learning Cantonese, you may try ILC.